Skip to main content

Eddie Van Halen (with a Guest Writer)

Thrilled to have a guest writer contribute to this post.  Richard is my dear friend of almost 30 years and a musical 'soul mate'.  He was the first person I knew who had an apartment and our groups' frequent visits there were always centered around music.  Meeting Richard and being introduced to the music he loved was a natural extension of what I had experienced at home.  Still rooted in classic rock, Richard was a little more 'metal', a little more discerning and definitely the most opinionated person about music I had met to date.  My favorite music argument we ever has went something like this.  "The Beatles?  Forget the Beatles.  ELO actually did everything the Beatles were trying to do."  Could have been straight from the mouth of Lester Bangs.  

Most importantly, Richard was the first Springsteen fanatic I had ever met.  He had stories about the Born in the USA tour, bootlegs, video tapes of performances by the band (hard to find in the empty E Street decade of the 90s).  After going to my first show with him in Memphis in 2000, I immediately called my Dad.  "You HAVE to go when he comes to Atlanta.  Its like nothing you have ever seen".  Dad was hooked, and now I am sharing all of this with Nate.  That all started with Richard.  Many miles down the road, Bruce still forms the basis of our musical connection that has had a immeasurable impacts on me,    

When Richard texted about the death of EVH and how profoundly it effected him, I knew I wanted to give him the chance to write something.  

SCB

Okay, here goes.....

Growing up, there was always music around my house. Thanks to my Dad, I was introduced to Elvis, Orbison, The Beach Boys, The Kinks and Chuck Berry. This shaped my earliest musical memories. Then, around 13 or 14 years old, something shifted. For the first time I heard something that hit me viscerally. That was the guitar sounds on a loud, almost violent cover of the Kinks "You Really Got Me." From the first time I heard Van Halen, music shifted for me from being background entertainment to something that got me right in the gut. And I couldn't get enough of it. I saved my money and got cassette copies of every album and wore them out!!

Van Halen's music represents me coming into my own, developing my own tastes (sometimes to the dismay of my Dad!) Learning to drive a car, hanging out with friends, dating (!!) and going to concerts. Seeing VH on the 1984 tour was mind blowing. Not just that he was playing a guitar, hell, tons of players did that. It is what he was making that guitar do, and what those songs were saying to me. Life changed, period.

Losing Eddie Van Halen was a gut punch. It is hard to explain to casual music listeners what it means to be a fan. A very spiritual part of my youth passed away. We have lost a lot of musical heroes lately, but none have hit me as hard as this one. 

As fate would have it, my brother Michael was passing through town that day and was spending the night. When I got home from work, he met me in the garage. We embraced each other and I bawled like a baby. I just kept saying "This one hits me hard,"

Thank you for the music and the memories. Rest easy, Eddie Van Halen. You have earned it. 

Now everyone, pull out your dog-eared copy of Women and Children First and turn it up to eleven!!!

ROA

After Eddie Van Halen's unfortunate passing, I went back and listened to Van Halen's albums one by one in order. Some I'd heard before, others I'd not. The music really hit me, for whatever reason, in a way that newly discovered music hasn't lately. I felt a connection the unique way the songs were put together, and mainly, the way Eddie Van Halen played guitar. He drove the songs with the guitar as a melody instrument, much like you would think of a piano.  The guitar was the song.  

I've always admired and appreciated Eddie's guitar playing, but definitely did not pay enough attention to his music as I should have. But that's not all. 

The way Eddie Van Halen played the guitar changed the way everyone else played the guitar. He pioneered techniques and technology that changed the game for good. Some could even argue that he is the greatest rock guitarist of all time. I would not fight anyone who made that argument. 

I didn't grow up with the band. but their art has worked its way into my head and I can't get enough of it. As someone whos coming to it for the first time so far past when it came out, they truly were trailblazers. They made music that had meaning to it. Not to mention the stunning guitar solos and roaring opening riffs. More than a rock guitarist, Eddie was a true musician. I highly recommend this interview with Eddie about his musically upbringing and creative process (a bit long but very well worth it).

Eddie Van Halen's legacy will live forever. His guitar drove the records the band made, and he changed the musical world forever. Rest in peace, Eddie Van Halen. 

NCB



Comments