Skip to main content

DBT

While the rest of St Louis is watching to see if the Cards can cap their improbable run with a World Series title tonight, I'll be seeing one of my favorite bands at the best venue in the StL.  Drive By Truckers at the Pageant

This will be the 2nd time in a year I have seen DBT here and I am really looking forward to the show.  This band is a relatively recent obsession (spurred by Dad nonetheless) but I have gone in whole hog.  What I love most about DBT is they know exactly who they are, and they do it very well, both in the studio and on stage.  Fronted by two prolific songwriters (Patterson Hood and Mike Cooley) each with their own distinctive style, DBT are not especially progressive or groundbreaking, but they consistently deliver fantastic, edgy rock and roll steeped in the musical traditions of the south. Regrettably, I somehow completely missed this band during their early days in Athens, which completely coincided with my time in college there.  I'm sure I could have seen them a dozen times at GA Theatre or the 40 Watt. 

I try to never go into a concert really hoping to hear 1 particular song, lest I be disappointed.  But with DBT I just can't help it.  This is the fabulous "Outfit" off of their 2003 release Decoration Day. "Sort of a redneck 'Father and Son'" as my friend Pat put it.  Here's hoping.


Comments