Skip to main content

The talk on the street says you might go solo

Read today that Craig Finn, frontman for one of The Fabled Automatic's most favorite bands, The Hold Steady, will release his first solo record "Clear Heart Full Eyes" on January 24th.  Not to mention a tour to go with it that will have stops in both the StL and the AtL.  Check out a preview here.


I am excited about this and interested to see what directions he takes with his solo work, but after listening to the previews and noting how much like Hold Steady songs they sound (not surprising given his ultra-distinctive voice), I am a bit worried about the future of the band.  Couple this solo project with the departure of keyboardist Franz Nicolay in 2010 (which has really changed their sound) and one has to wonder about the trajectory of the band. They are probably my favorite band discovered in the last five years (I think Dad would second that), and I would hate to think that we're already on the downhill with these guys, especially coming off the amazing three album run Boys and Girls in America-Stay Positive-Heaven is Whenever- they are on.  Here's hoping for a great solo record from Craig and I'll 'stay positive' about more great music from The Hold Steady.  

 

Comments

  1. I couldn't agree more with what Scott says about The Hold Steady. Great band with a great run on the last three albums. Not only is Finn's voice distinctive he writes great lyrics. I really hope this solo effort doesn't mark the beginning of the end...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment